Office Starter Pack 2010

I have recently purchased a new HP Pavillion dv6 with Windows 7 installed whilst working in Malaysia.

I did not realise until I returned home it did not come with Office installed - only had the Office Starter 2010.

I can open some pdf's I have stored on my laptop with Adobe Reader but others I cannot (never had a problem opening them before I bought a new computer).

I get a message that I have to install or re-install a FileOpen plug-in. No matter how many times I install I still get the same message.

Other times (when I think I have sucessfully installed the plug-in) it comes up with "Drawing Error" or "Cannot find or create the font Arial-BoldMT."

So I check and then find Arial-BoldMT is not installed on my computer.

That was where I started thinking maybe the font didn't come with the Starter Pack and I would need to purchase Office.

So, I go on-line and that is where the second part of my problem arises.

I tried to purchase Office on the internet from Microsoft and because I am not located in the same country as my billing address (working in Malaysia / billing address in Thailand) it will not accept my credit card.

I have some very important pdf's I need to open and I am not due to return to Thailand for 1 month.

Can anyone assist with help on my first problem and advice on my second problem.

E-mail is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Thanks and regards,

Shane

Answer
Answer

You do not need Office to open pdfs.  Adobe Reader is the program to use to open them. 

While Office 2013 does have the ability to open pdfs, no version of Office 2010 (either the Starter or any of the full versions) have that ability.

If you are having problems with the Starter version of Office, see “How to Repair, Uninstall and Re-install Microsoft Office Starter 2010” at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02981221#N29

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,930 Applies to: