MS Word 2010 freeze when I type a linefeed (Enter)

Hi,

There is a problem that have been affecting Word starter in my computer since the last few days:

Whenever I edit a document (existing or new), Word become unresponsive and grayed out every time I type Enter after or before any letters of the text. In others words, when I type only linefeeds or only letters everything is OK, but if one letter is in the text when I type Enter, everything freezes in the next second or so. Also, I can type normally on any line if there are more than one, but Word is going to freeze when I click on another one. Nothing abnormal is happening when automatic linefeed are generated from typing until the end of a line.

The question is, what is happening and how could this be fixed?

Thanks to anyone willing to save my life.

Mat 

Answer
Answer

Hello There,

Welcome to Microsoft Communities.

In order to resolve this issue, let us start with opening Word 2010 in the safe mode. To do that, follow the steps below:

• Hold the Windows key down and press R, In the Run box that opens type winword /safe (note there is a space between winword and /) and click on Ok.     
  • If you are not able to open the Run box then follow this step. Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run and type in the command winword /safe and click on Ok.

This action will open Word 2010 in the Safe Mode.

Check if the issue resolves or if Word still goes into not responding mode or becomes grayed-out.

If the Word works normally in safe mode, then the issue could arise due to interference from third-party non-Microsoft add-ins in the program. Try disabling the Add-Ins in Word 2010 and check the result. 

• Click on the File tab.
  • Go to Options.
  • Click Add-ins.
  • Select Com Add-Ins from the drop down window at the bottom of the box
  • Try disabling the Add-ins – clear all the options and click on OK to save the changes made.  

Note: In case you see some Add-ins getting checked again after applying OK, it is still fine. Ignore and proceed further.

Check now if the issue resolves.

After completing Com Add-Ins follow the same steps as above and check under Word Add-Ins to see if there are any Add-ins which need to be disabled. If yes, proceed with the same steps as mentioned above to disable Word Add-ins. Check if the above step helps you to resolve the issue.

In case the issue returns after a while then make sure to navigate back to Com Add-Ins and Word Add-Ins (following the steps as detailed above) and remove / un-install the third-party Add-ins from the list.    

Try the above steps and let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 29, 2022 Views 748 Applies to: