CLick to run configuration failure

I'm having an issue with opening Microsoft Word Home and Student on my WIndows 7 computer. It was installed on it before I got it, and I got it as a gift brand new from my grandparents in 2010. This started recently, but I can't open it anymore, it give me a box saying "Click-2-Run configuration failure". I have tried to Fix-It wizard from Microsoft, and it says that it won't work with my OS. (Not sure why, it's an HP notebook and Windows 7). I can't get a new product key from HP either, I went through their support and basically got the message I'm SOL. Is there anyway I can fix it myself? If there's a very detailed step by step guide that would be great as I'm not good with doing things to alter programs. I have Microsoft Word Starter 2010 if that helps. All I use out of the Office suite is Word, so I'd rather avoid having to buy it to use.

Is it the Office 2010 Starter Edition that you have or something else?

For the former, see “How to Repair, Uninstall and Re-install Microsoft Office Starter 2010” at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02981221#N29

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried the first method to repair it, and it tells me it's repaired but still displays that error when I click to open. I ran it several times and even made sure to restart the computer to see if that helped. IT is the Starter version. I'm hesitant to uninstall and reinstall because I have no support from Microsoft or HP for the program if it doesn't work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming that it is Office Starter that you have and NOT Office Home and Student, carefully and completely, follow the instructions on the following web page:

http://triplescomputers.com/blog/casestudies/click2run-configuration-failure-when-office-2010-starter-is-launched/

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 5, 2022 Views 2,296 Applies to: