Can not start Microsoft Word Starter 2010 (sftldr_wow64.dll is missing)

Hello,

The last time I was able to access Microsoft Word Starter 2010 was April 30th, 2014.  Since that time, I receive a WINWORDC.EXE System Error which states, "The program can't start because sftldr_wow64.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Over the last several months, I have tried a number of recommended solutions on this site, but nothing has worked.  I attempted to repair the program by selecting 'Change' for "Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - English," but that didn't work.  I uninstalled the program and tried to reinstall Office Starter 2010 by clicking Microsoft Office 2010, but instead of receiving the "Use Office Starter 2010" option, I get the "Try Office free for a limited time" option.

The Microsoft Office programs I have installed on my computer are "Microsoft Office 2010," "Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010" and "Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - English."  I had to use another website to reinstall Office Starter after uninstalling it.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Answer
Answer

Since nothing else has worked, a last resort would be to "reset" your computer to "factory fresh".

Most computers come with a "recovery" partition that will reset the computer to the state it was in when you got it from the factory.  Since Starter 2010 is an "OEM" installation, it will be present in the recovery partition.  Typically, when you are booting you can press F5 or F8 (depends on computer make) to get a list of options. One of the options is something like "recover" or "reset" your computer.

NOTE

BEFORE you to a reset or recover make sure to create an "image copy backup" of your system to an external hard drive (or burn it to DVDs). And that your backup/restore program can boot from CD/DVD to you can restore your backup if absolutely needed.

Also make a copy of your personal files (pretty much everything in your user profile folders) to a USB drive(s), for quick restore after computer is reset.

Also make sure you have all of the product keys / registration numbers and installation files for all of the programs you use. There are tools to identify installed programs, we can provide a list if you wish.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 384 Applies to: