Wrong page number after the use of columns

I am currently writing a document containing quite a lot of text, a long with some formulas. In order to comment these formulas, I wanted to split some parts of different pages. A marked the text that I wanted to have split up and went to the "Page Setup" group, before i clicked"Columns" and choose the two columns option in the list. Then I suddenly saw how the page number started to count over again on the next page. I tried to select the footer, right click the wrong number, click "Format page number" and choose "Continue from previous section. This did scroll the document up one page, but did not fix the problem. What do I do?

I tried to search for it on Google and the forum, but did not find any solutions which were relevant or actually helped.

All help is appreciated. Thank you.

I just tried to recreate the error with a black document and some greeking. Lorem ipsum organized itself into columns just fine, without disrupting the page numbers. When I tried to do the same in the original document, the error showed up again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It's possible that there is some document corruption in the original. Try this: Open a blank document. In the original document, first turn on the display of nonprinting marks (click the ¶ button) so you can see where the section breaks are. Copy the content of the first section -- but NOT the section break itself -- and paste it into the blank document. Repeat for each of the other sections, still not copying any section breaks, and also don't copy the final paragraph mark at the end of the document. Save the new document with a different file name. Now you can try formatting the new document (or preferably a copy of it, in case you have a problem with it again).

However, instead of using Page Layout > Columns, I'd suggest using a two-column table with the equation in one cell and the comments in the other cell. You can turn off the table's border lines so they won't print. With a table, you won't have the comment material shifting into the same column with the equation, the way it would with the Columns feature. Also, you're guaranteed not to have any difficulty with page numbers or other page layout issues.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 24, 2024 Views 101 Applies to: