Word prompts me to save changes to a .dot template created by me

I have a template file (.dot) file which is there in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033 folder. This file is accessed by a third party add-in also created by me. This add-in makes use of the template file and creates a new file with that template.

Word prompts me saying that the .dot file has been modified and do you want to save the new .dot file every time I use the add-in to create a new file.

"You have modified styles, building blocks (such as cover pages or headers), or other content that is stored in “external.dot”. Do you want to save changes to “external.dot”?"

This has been bothering me a lot lately. Kindly help me.

Thanks in advance,

Anshul Sankalp

Answer
Answer

Do those two systems have other add-ins besides yours? Especially ones that aren't on the systems where the problem doesn't occur.

I'm aware of only two conditions that cause a template to prompt to save changes on every use: either there are fields in the template that are updated when the template is loaded into memory, or there is code -- in the template itself or in an add-in -- that makes some change in the template. The field explanation isn't likely, because it would affect all the systems that use it, so that leaves code.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Possibly http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291352/en-us

But likely caused by your add-in

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2022 Views 897 Applies to: