Word creates a space when highlighting

I do a lot of music editing in Word with chords and lyrics and Word does something I cannot figure out how to turn off.  When I highlight a line of music to move it, Word creates a space at the end of the line.  Then when I paste the line in where I want it, there is automatically created a blank line under the line I just pasted into place.  I want only the chords or notes I highlight to be inserted, NOT additional spaces that I then need to carefully delete.  Since I am constantly copying and pasting to rearrange verses and lines, the extra time to delete all these unwanted inserted blank lines is really killing me.  I completely turned off "Use Smart Cut and Paste" but it is still doing it.  When I highlight a line of text, whether I drag right or left, as soon as I highliight that last letter, the extra space appears at the end of the line.  What do I need to turn off to get Word to stop doing this?  Thank you!!  Joe Adams
Answer
Answer
The "space" you refer to is really the paragraph mark at the end of the line, which you can see if you turn on the nonprinting marks by clicking the ¶ button on the Home tab. (Click it again to turn it off.)

In the Editing Options section of the Advanced Options dialog, clear the check box for "Use smart paragraph selection" to stop automatically selecting the paragraph mark.

38 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 4,573 Applies to: