Word Cannot open file because the file format does not match the file extenson

Hi I was running grammerly through my word document, and for some reason the file went strange , and I was unable to move the mouse across the screen. In the end I decided to reboot my computer to find the above, this is a file I desperately need and need to open as soon as possible. I have scanned my pc and it has no viruses, so I cannot understand why this happened in a split second. Can you please help? I also looked online for an alternartive solution, but they seem complicated so can you please explain it to me in the simplest way possible?

regards

Jodie

If you send me a copy of the file, I will see what I can do with it.

Did you shut down Word before re-booting your computer?  If you did not, you should have been offered an auto-recovery version of the file, though Grammerly may have interfered with the process of creating such a file.

It would be prudent to make a backup copy of any important file before subjecting it to any third-party application such as Grammerly.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 560 Applies to: