Word 2010 won't save files (Check the Temp environment variable)

When I open Word 2010, it gives me the message "Word could not create work file. Check the Temp environment variable" (in my local language). Effectively this means I cannot save any files. It won't give an error message about saving but it won't save either. The only way to close a file is to choose don't save. Upon closing the program, it also claims that changes have been made to the Normal template even when I haven't made any.

I've found various solutions online. I've already done the most obvious fix Microsoft recommends for this problem which is to check that the setting in Internet Explorer is correctly pointing to the Temporary Internet files folder. I've checked the registry for what it says under Cache, that information is correct. Another solution suggested to check the registry entry for AppData, but that was correct too.

I've also tried the Microsoft FixIt file for resetting user options and registry settings in Word, that did not help. I've tried repairing the install, no use. I uninstalled the entire Microsoft Office package and and then reinstalled it, but the problem is still there.

I have spent about ten hours on trying to solve this problem today, on a day when I had planned to work instead (I need Word for work). Any ideas for what I can do, short of purchasing a new computer?

Answer
Answer

Since the potential solutions for this problem often seem to relate to the Temporary Internet Files folder, I came up with a solution of my own - I went to the same subfolder where it usually is (User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows) and created a folder called Temporary Internet Files 2. Then I went to Internet Explorer and changed the Temporary Internet Files location to this folder. That actually seems to have fixed the problem with Word, at least for now.

What I wonder now is does it matter if I keep the setting for Temporary Internet Files like this? Can it cause problems (I don't see why it would, but I guess you never know?)? Isn't that folder primarily only used by Internet Explorer (and apparently, Word)? I don't usually even use IE, but I do need my Word to be functional.

This probably indicates that my problem is somehow related to the original Temporary Internet Files folder. I finally figured out there is a problem with a subfolder called Content.Word. When I try to open it, it says the folder is corrupted and unreadable. I don't know how to fix that though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 481 Applies to: