Word 2010 will not attach and send document through Outlook 2010

I have Office Home and Business 2010.  I recently upgraded to a new computer and switched things over.  My old computer ran XP and now I have Windows 7.  I'm using POP accounts in Outlook.  I didn't have a problem writing a document in Word and then emailing it through Outlook as a PDF. I tried on Windows 7 and get an error message saying "this action is not supported while an older version of Outlook is running".   There are no older versions of Outlook on this computer.  The help simply stated "Word couldn't send mail because of MAPI failure; operation not supported."  I'm at a loss.

Hello,

The issue generally occurs if you have multiple/trial versions of Office installed on the computer. So let us check for multiple versions of Office installed on the computer by going to Control panel and Programs and Features. If found you may uninstall them (except the version you have purchased and installed) and try sending emails from Word 2010.

You may also refer to the following links and check if it helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-outlook/word-couldnt-send-because-of-mapi-failure/6c8099c0-bc0d-45e2-b5d1-0950cd231612

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2785945

I hope this fixes the issue. If you still have issues, you may reply and we’ll be happy to help you.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Nope... no other versions.  Brand new computer and the only office product is Office Home and Business 2010.  It didn't even come with a trial of Office.  I looked at registry and it's nothing like the 2007 one listed on website.  I tried setting Outlook as default in Internet Explorer and that had no effect either.  I'm still getting the same response.  I have no clue why it's referring to older version when there isn't one.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to confirm, in Programs & features there is only the single MS Office installation shown & nothing else MS Office related?

When you say 'switched things over' does that mean you installed from the MS Office dvd, and then manually configured Outlook with your mail accounts?

Did you also perhaps install any third party maintenance utilities, of the type generally supposed to fix registry errors?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are no other version or anything else Office related.  I bought this computer because I did the buy Office 2010 and get free upgrade to 2013.  2013 would not install on my windows XP computer.  By the time I bought this computer the upgrade expired.  What I did was take the original program disk for Office 2010 and installed on new computer.  I manually configured the email according to the directions set forth by my POP server.  The only third party installation I did was Norton Internet Security which is also on my "old" computer.  It's weird that it worked on my XP computer but not on Windows 7.  I did have Office 2003 on my other computer before the 2010 upgrade but that shouldn't effect the new one.  I don't have much on this computer.  There's Google chrome, two printers, adobe reader Office Home and Business 2010 and that's pretty much it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Ideally a pre-installed trial copy of Office 2013 would be installed on the computer when you purchase a new computer.

Let us run the FIX IT from the following link to remove any traces of Office 2013 on the computer.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0/5/505878EB-FFC4-4DF0-A526-B1165BFA6C35/O15CTRRemove.diagcab

Once you have removed, repair the Office 2010 suite and verify results. Refer the article to repair Office 2010 suite:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/access-help/repair-office-programs-HA010357402.aspx

Thank You

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,907 Applies to: