Word 2010: Why don't documents scroll vertically in Print Layout view?

I have vertical scroll bars enabled in Word 2010.  Note that I am NOT asking about how to enable vertical scroll bars.

In Print Layout view with more than one page viewed at a time, dragging the vertical scroll bar does nothing except show a small page indicator as shown in the screenshot below.  In other words, when scrolling vertically with the scroll bar, the pages actually displayed in the document window do not change and I cannot quickly scan through the document nor see where I am scrolling to.  This is very annoying.  This does not happen in Draft view or in Print Layout view when only one page is viewed at a time.

I've noticed that this Print Layout view problem occurs in previous versions of Word as well.  Can anyone confirm that this is a permanent "feature" in Word?  Is there any way to change this?  It seems completely pointless and similar document views in other programs --such as "two page scrolling" in Adobe Acrobat-- do not have this problem.  What is the rationale?  Thanks for any help.

Answer
Answer

A display driver's games performance is quite irrelevant to its performance with Word. So too is the comparison with Acrobat, which doesn't have to handle and kind of text reflow, something Word has to do all the time. Your situation is quite common.

As for your questions, the answer is yes, that is how my system behaves. However, you didn't previously specify those parameters and that's not how I normally use Word, which I typically run at a 120% zoom in Print Layout view. Used that way, I see the behaviour I described.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 278 Applies to: