WORD 2010 STILL PRINTS SAME FOOTNOTE AND SAME PAGE NUMBER ON EVERY PAGE!

Hello.

PLEASE! Can someone tell me (in plain non-geek English) how to solve this?  I've read everything on the Help pages that even remotely pertain to this. I actually called Tech Support 3 times and used chat 3 times. Nothing has worked. I tried the "Repair" feature in the Control Panel. I'm afraid to completely un-install then re-install for fear it will only make matters worse.  When I erase the footnote and/or page numbers from where I DON"T want them, they disappear from the pages where I DO want them. Example: a footnote I only want on page 7 appears on all 10 pages of a document. I delete it from all but page 7 . It disappears from 7 too!  Also, I can't get it to allow both page numbers and footnotes.

If it helps, I use a Dell Inspiron 560 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.  Thanks a million times to anyone who can help.

Answer
Answer

There are two ways to have some text appear in the footer of only one page (page 7 in your case) of a document.

One is to have a Next Page Section Break before and after that page.  You insert such breaks by going to the Page Layout tab of the ribbon and access the Breaks drop down in the Page Setup section of the Ribbon and then click on the Next Page item.  If you have a hard page break separating page 7 from the other pages at the moment, you may need to remove it to avoid having an unwanted blank page. 

Then, you must go to the footer of the document and unlink the footer in the section that contains page 7 from that in the previous section of the document and do the same thing with the footer in the following section (the one that starts with page 8).  That is done by clicking on the Link to Previous button in the Navigation section of the Header & Footer Tools Design tab of the ribbon.  It will be unlinked when the button does NOT have a yellow background.

Then you can insert text into the footer of the Section that contains page 7 without it appearing on the other pages of the document.

Note, with the above method, if you subsequently edit the document, the page that was page 7 may become page 6 if you delete enough text on the preceding pages, or may become page 8 if you add text to the preceding pages.

The other method, which will ensure that the text only ever appears on page 7 regardless of any edits to the document is to leave the document with only the one section and then in the footer of the document where you want the text to appear, insert the following field construction

{ IF { PAGE } = 7 "This is the test to appear on page 7" "" }

You must use CTRL+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and you use ALT+F9 to toggle off their display.

It will probably be necessary to use the Print Preview facility to cause the fields to update so that the text appears on Page 7.

NOTE: If the same number appears on every page, rather than in increasing by one from one page to the next, then you need to replace the number that you have there with a { page } field (or use ALT+SHIFT+p to insert such a field.

One final note, text that is inserted by either of the methods detailed above is NOT a "footnote".  A footnote is used as a means of adding information about a particular part of the text on a page and is inserted via the Insert Footnote facility in the Footnotes section of the References tab of the ribbon.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 364 Applies to: