Word 2010 Shows Password Protected File Content in the Preview Pane--Compatibility Mode

I can't find that anyone is having this issue.   I have a document that I use on an older computer with Word 2001 (I think) which is password protected because of the content.  But when I am in the Folder in Dropbox that it contains the Preview Pain SHOWS ME THE CONTENT of the password protected file.  How does this happen?  I've looked in document properties and the Protect options in Save As, and cannot figure out how that folder is displaying content of a password protected file.  Not okay that as I scroll through, this content can be seen by anyone over my shoulder or someone who may grab my computer in an unfortunate incident...

Any suggestions?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi ASTsinger,

Based on the description you're facing an issues working with the Microsoft Word.

I would need more information to help you better.

1.What happens when you save the file locally and try to work?

2.What is the format of this file (.DOC or .DOCX)?

3.Does it happen with all the files with the password?

Reply to us with these information to help you better.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I get the same thing.  I'm using word 2003 and the file is .doc file on my c: drive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this problem in all Office 2010 applications.  I can see my password protected documents in the preview pane.  Has anyone found a resolution to this problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

•  What is the format of the file (.doc or .docx)?
  • Have you installed all the updates for the Office?

Install all the latest version of Office and check if it helps.

Reply with the results to assist you better.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.  It was a .doc file.  I saved it as a .docx file and the problem persists.
It is Word 2010 with all updates applied.

This problem seems to have existed for some time as evidenced by this answers.microsoft.com thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Provide us the screenshot of the issue to assist you better.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, but it is a file containing personal financial information.  That is why it was encrypted.  

It previews exactly like any other Word document.  There is nothing visually different between how it is previewed and a non-encrypted document.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did find something.  I wondered if I could decrypt the file and re-encrypt under Windows 7 and see if that made a difference.

The "Encrypt contents to secure data" choice was grayed out.  The volume uses the NTFS file system.  I am on a Win 7 Home Premium system, which I believe does not have have encryption.  So the file was encrypted with an earlier OS, probably XP.

This could be just a problem with viewing a previously encrypted file on Win 7 Home Premium.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did find something.  I wondered if I could decrypt the file and re-encrypt under Windows 7 and see if that made a difference.

The "Encrypt contents to secure data" choice was grayed out.  The volume uses the NTFS file system.  I am on a Win 7 Home Premium system, which I believe does not have have encryption.  So the file was encrypted with an earlier OS, probably XP.

This could be just a problem with viewing a previously encrypted file on Win 7 Home Premium.
Well, it isn't just Home Premium.  I viewed the file with Win 7 Professional (64-bit) and the preview pane showed the file's contents.  FWIW - the Win 7 Home Premium system was 32-bit.

NOTE: this is a file that was encrypted under XP.  You are presented a dialog in which a password must be supplied to allow encryption/decryption of the file.  From what I can tell this a different mechanism than Win 7 professional uses.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, it isn't just Home Premium.  I viewed the file with Win 7 Professional (64-bit) and the preview pane showed the file's contents.  FWIW - the Win 7 Home Premium system was 32-bit.

NOTE: this is a file that was encrypted under XP.  You are presented a dialog in which a password must be supplied to allow encryption/decryption of the file.  From what I can tell this a different mechanism than Win 7 professional uses.

===================

I am using Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine and Word 2007 I'm noticing similar behavior in my preview pane and I have some further observations.  The file content is displayed in the preview pane in Windows Explorer only if I open the document in word with the required password.  The disturbing thing is that the content continues to display in the Windows Explorer window after the document is closed in Word as long as the document remains "selected" in Explorer.  Once it's closed in Word, if you unselect it in Explorer, then reselect it, the preview pane does not display the contents.  At least that's what I am seeing.

In my situation hiding the preview pane is an acceptable work around.  I followed the steps below to confirm that turning the preview pane back on does not cause my protected data to display in Windows Explorer:

• Open Explorer, click on "hide the preview pane" in the top right of the window
  • Open the password protected document by double clicking it
  • Word opens and requests the password and I provide it
  • The document opens, and I then close it
  • Return to the Explorer Window and click on "show the preview pane"
  • I validated that the preview pane is not populated with the file contents even though the protected document has been continuously selected while Word opened it
  • I clicked on "hide the peview pane"  and closed Windows Explorer
  • I reopened Windows Explorer and validated that the preview pane remained off

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 2, 2023 Views 2,320 Applies to: