Word 2010 shows open or locked when trying to open doc

I'm trying to edit a document I created and closed the other day.  Now when I try to open it for edit it shows "in use" or locked by another user.  If I say open in read only it just opens a doc with several pages of gobble-dee-gook.  I cannot delete file either to start fresh.  How do I get file to open for edit or delete it to start over?  I can edit other dos with no issues.   However, when closing Word program locks and becomes non-responsive.  I have kill it with Task Manager.  Word Version 14.0.7106.5003. Thanks.
The "in use" message normally shows up in 2 cases. First is when you really do have the file open in another Word session.  The other is when Word is not shut down properly, and the lock file is left as an orphan. 

Did you shut down the computer between the time you created the file and got the message?  If not, then boot the computer now to see if that will clear the message.

If you have booted between attempts, what you want to do is:
  • find the default file save location,
  • close down all open Word and Outlook sessions
  • delete all *.TMP *.WBK *.ASD and 1kb files that have your file names with the first 2 char replaced by ~$

To find the default file save location, in Word go to File menu > Options command > Advanced option > (scroll down to bottom to) General section and click on the "File Locations ..." button.  Make note of the "Documents" and "Autorecover File" folder locations

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Rohn007,

Tried your suggestions with no success.  There were no files with the extensions mentioned nor was the Autorecover folder visible.  I did searches for the file extensions and the folder and found nothing.  Thanks for your reply.

I had a notion that one could reset the "in use" flag on a file by getting at its properties.  Seems to me that I did that once a long time ago on an earlier version of Windows and Word.  I don't remember how I did it however.  Oh well, I'll just have this junk file hanging around.

Again, thanks for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The "in use" flag is actually a 1kb file that has the file name renamed to start with ~$ .  If your Word session died (did not shut down normally) these files are left behind. You can simply delete the file the "lock" file unlock the parent file.

One of the ASD or WBK files would contain the full content of the file, but if you can't find them, you can't use them to recover the missing file ...
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 635 Applies to: