Word 2010: Select Word-Only, Without Any Spaces

Here is the situation that annoys me more often than not. I click on a word to copy and paste. I want ONLY that word, without the space after it. I know, it is useful sometimes, but rarely to me.

I copy one word from one document and paste it to another document. Word 2010 automatically expands the word by adding one space at the end. The quirk is serious when I work with HTML pages. Even when I copy a group of words, like a URL, Word 2010 grinds my nerves with its over zeal. It adds one space to the left and one space to the left! That’s catastrophic! The web address is not recognizable.

I’ve had this problem with all versions of MS Word I remember of. I know, I go to Settings, but the process is cumbersome. Incredible as it sounds, it doesn’t even work! I start Options, Advanced, Use Smart Copy and Paste, click Settings, and then I deselect that stubborn Adjust word spacing automatically. Nothing changes! Sometimes, the Options come back to their previous settings after I restart Word. Sounds like the bullish software mocks me…

Anyway, is there a way to set this kind of preference without resorting to macros?

Thank you in advance.

Ion Saliu,

Writer At-Large

Hi

Put your cursor at the start of the word or text you wish to copy and hold the shift key down and   highlight your word using the right arrow in the group of 4 on your keyboard this will allow you to highlight one letter at a time if need be and you can eliminate any spaces or anything else in front or after your text you can do it right to left as well by using the left arrow with the cursor after the word.  You can use the up and down arrows to navigate as well.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you tried turning off  Smart Paste entirely?
Pamelia Caswell

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Axiomatic Colleague of Mine:

That method is too tedious. You can speed it up by clicking at the beginning of text, then hold down Shift and click at the end of text. In such a case, only the word is selected, no space at the end.

I want, however, to just click the word and the word-only is selected. I don’t know who decides on defaults in Word — they are, more often than not, against what I do more frequently. At least, it should be made crystal-clear how to change defaults and all settings.

Thank you for your consideration.

Ion Saliu,

Writer At-Large

The Book of Truth: It is all Random. Randomness rules the Universe. I demonstrated it beyond reasonable doubt: mathematically, that is.
https://saliu.com/formula.htm

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@PamCaswell

Axiomatic Colleague of Mine:

YES, in the end I disabled Smart Paste. My Word 2010 still selects the word and a space at the end. It is nerve-wrecking when that happens several times in a document! You can try it yourself — I don’t know what version of Word you are using. I remember I was successful in older versions of Word.

Right now, there is that dangerous situation, when pasting web addresses in HTML documents. Just look what happens sometimes, as in this example:

http://saliu.com/ aporia.html

Word added a space to the left, which makes the URL non-functional (Error 404 – Not Found). Correctly should be (subtle difference):

http://saliu.com/aporia.html

Thank you for your consideration.

Ion Saliu,

Writer At-Large

The Book of Truth: It is all Random. Randomness rules the Universe. I demonstrated it beyond reasonable doubt: mathematically, that is.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sometimes I want the space (or paragraph mark) and sometimes I don't. And as an editor, I'm always selecting part of a word or sentence, so I also have  the option for When selecting select entire word turned off. Even so, if I double click a word, the space is selected, and I have to hold the shift and press the left arrow to deselect it. But with select entire word off, it's easier to click and drag (select) just the portion of text I want.  

I guess what I'm saying is that I still have to know what I want and to watch what Word is doing.
Pamelia Caswell

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry! Those are not the most efficient ways to select exactly what I want to copy and exactly what I want to paste.

So far, this remains the fastest way to select exactly what I want:

Click at the beginning of the word;

Hold down the Shift key;

Click at the end of the word.

I’m still hoping someone from the Word Team would give me a good answer or two. I also suggest to the development team to be more careful with the defaults and make it really easy to change any or many or all defaults.

Best of luck to you all, creatively-axiomatic colleagues of mine!

Ion Saliu,

Writer At-Large

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 18, 2024 Views 2,052 Applies to: