Word 2010 ribbon customization lost/reset

I have been trying to customize the ribbon in Word 2010, initially by moving the default groups around within the default tabs.  I moved groups in the Home tab first, and clicked OK to save the changes, which worked.  I then selected the Page Layout tab, opened up the customization again, and moved groups in the Page Layout tab.  When I clicked OK, these changes worked, but Word had reset the Home tab groups back to the installed defaults.

What does appear to work is to expand all the default tabs when in customization by clicking on all the + signs, when Word seems to remember everything I've done before.

I'm running a plain version of Word 2010 on Windows 7 with all the latest updates applied.  There are no add-ins installed.  Has anybody come across this, or have any suggestions about why its happening and how to solve it?  I do not want to have to resort to learning XML, just use the UI.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

I understand your concern and will help you to resolve this issue.

This
unusual behavior could occur if there is any problem with options, or settings in Word.

Let's run 'Fix it' from the following article to reset user options and registry settings in Word and then customize the ribbon and verify the result:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005

If you're unable to run the 'Fix it', follow the instructions mentioned in the section 'Let me fix it myself' and see if it helps.

Important: Make sure to back up the registry following instructions mentioned in the above article before you modify it.

Hope it helps. Reply with the result and I'll be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,132 Applies to: