Word 2010 reformats a paragraph when trying to restart a numbered list using a custom style

I have a template with a whole set of styles set up for writing specifications that I have used since Word first started styles.  Architectural specs are done using a fairly rigid set of conventions so the formatting HAS to be identical from section to section.  My problem is that when I right click on a paragraph and click on  "Restart at A" or "Restart at 1" on the drop down menu that appears, the paragraph I am trying to restart the numbering on changes its formatting! The numbering and the paragraph indents both change.   It means that the first paragraph is different from all of the others in that document and not in a good way.   I end up spending more time trying to format my paragraphs than if I never used a style to begin with.  This never happened in any other version of Word I used (XP, 2003) not until I "upgraded" to 2010.  WHAT HAPPENED to the styles and templates that worked perfectly well in XP and 2003 and are totally messed up in 2010?????  I don't have the time or inclination to  to reset the freaking styles in my specs template every time I go to use it!  How can I fix this buggy thing? 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

In a properly designed specification template it should never be necessary to use the restart numbering feature.  I say that from having used Word to create Engineering Specifications and Reports since version 1.0 for DOS about 30 years ago now.

To see how to properly set up numbered styles in later versions of Word, see the article "How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document" on the following page of the Late Shauna Kelly's website:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I disagree with Doug - it is quite common for specification documents to have lists which need restarting. I generally use macros to control the outline list numbering streams for each style. 

Without seeing your document, we can only guess as to what the problem is with your template. I can't tell you why Word 2010 is any different to Word 2003 because I don't think this behaviour has changed between those versions.

If you are using the restart command and the formatting is changing then I would predict either of two problems:

1. You are trying to restart a list that is not level 1 in the outline list template

2. Your paragraph is not formatted in exactly the paragraph style ie it has local formatting. If Ctrl-Q and Ctrl-Space change the paragraph in any way then you can tell the paragraph has local formatting.

Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much for your reply.  I am not using outline numbering as I have found it to be even more of a hassle for me than individual styles within the template.  Each Paragraph type within the spec template has it's own style.  I will check the local formatting and see if that is the problem. How do I fix it if it is?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply.  I have been using Word since DOS Version 2 and I have not had this problem with my specification template until the 2010 version.  

I read the website and it unfortunately did not address my issue as I am not using outline numbering.  I find the outline numbering to be even more of a problem than individual styles.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the same problem...and it's annoying, as you said. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Doing it all through a multi-level list and assigning Headings 1, 2, 3 and 4 worked for my needs.  Just FYI. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are saying that the indents change as you restart a numbered paragraph, then you haven't set up the indentation properly in the first place. Word is very picky about that.

In Word 2007 or later, click the actual list number (you'll see that Word highlights all numbers at the same numbering level). Right-click to display the context menu and choose Adjust List Indents.

In the Adjust List Indents dialog box, "Number position" defines the position of the list number. "Text indent" defines the indents for the second and subsequent text lines in a numbered paragraph. If you have selected "Tab character" for "Follow number with," you can use "Add a tab stop at" to define the location of the text following immediately after the list number. All measurements are from the left margin.

Typically, if you want a hanging indent, "Text indent" and "Add tab stop at" should be set to the same value. Note that "Add tab stop at" is primarily for backward compatibility reasons nowadays, as Word assumes the presence of a tab stop at the location of the "Text indent." It's still wise to specify a value.

When you are done, click OK in the dialog box.

Note that if you are working with a multilevel list, the Adjust List Indents command will display the Multilevel List dialog box instead. The same principles apply, though, for each of up to nine numbering levels.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, it worked out great!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a great answer and very helpful. Thank you finally for someone who knows what they're talking about. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
Did you even bother to look at Shauna Kelly's website?
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 26, 2024 Views 3,955 Applies to: