Word 2010 Password hint

Is there a way to add a password hint to the popup you get when you try to open a password protected a document? Something akin to the logon password hint, for example. 

I've added my hint to the "Comments" property, and that is discoverable via the propertied in Windows Explorer.

However, under pressure I'm likely to forget both the password, and where I stored the hint...

Hello,

In general, there is no option within any Office/Word application to add the password hint when protecting the document.

You may need to check if it’s possible with VB/Macro coding. To know more about it, you may post your query in Programming forum link mentioned below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-customize?tm=1354465959710

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Whilst MS provides no methods of opening a password protected doc, a simple internet search would produce many free utilities to do so. Thus its not a particularly affective method of protecting a doc
Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Whilst MS provides no methods of opening a password protected doc, a simple internet search would produce many free utilities to do so. Thus its not a particularly affective method of protecting a doc
Thank for pointing that out.

The password is only the final level of encryption. It goes against the grain to have even a hint which does not have at least some level of protection.
Steve Swift

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 5, 2024 Views 1,230 Applies to: