Word 2010 - Outline has gone Crazy

Help.  I am working under a deadline.  The Normal Template has gone crazy, and the outline function with it.

I need to clean out the formatting in the current document.
I need to reset Normal and Styles to factory default.
I need to download or set up very traditional outlines - one with Roman numerals and the other with numbers.
Everything I do makes it worse.

Beth
For your styles, go to change styes > Word 2010. These are the factory default paragraph  style settings.  Apply the styles to your paragraphs--heading levels, text,  and such. 

To add numbering, with the cursor in the first heading 1 in the document, click the Multilevel List button on the Home tab  then from the List  Library choose the  one with  1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, etc. icon. The numbering will be applied and you'll be back in the document.  Immediately click the Multilevel List button again, then click Define new multilevel list.  Change the Number style for this level to I, II, III, ...,  the click  the OK button.

If that's all the customizing you want, you're done.
Pamelia Caswell

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You might try making a new blank Word document, and remove all the styles except the ones your want.  Then copy in your text to the document.  One way to do this is to copy your document into Notepad, and then copy from Notepad back to Word.  As an example of this, below is a template that I use for some of my longer Word documents - it has ONLY styles for Heading1-3, and styles for the Table Of contents, and a 36 point style for the heading page.  If you want Roman Numerals, your list of styles would look different.  My idea is, as you work your document, and it grows larger and larger, keep an eye on the list of styles, and be sure that no new unwanted styles creep in (if they do, delete these unwanted styles).  By the way, in case you did not know how to get to Styles, in my screen-print, I put a red arrow on the launcher for the Styles window.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 677 Applies to: