Word 2010 no longer limits its search and replace to the selected column in my table

I don't know when this issue started as I have done this for years since I work with very large documents but suddenly, you cannot select a column in a table and do a search and replace on data only in that column - it attempts to replace it in the entire document.  It is not exclusive to my computer.  I have attempted the same thing on 3 different computers in my office with the same result - and the computers are stand-alone computers so it has nothing to do with the network.  One of the computers had a Windows Update bundle (including a service pack) for Microsoft Office 2010 applied today 9/29 - there were 29 updates in that set.  My computer did not have those updates, it had a handful of them from 9/10/14.  I did a system restore back to 9/9/14 but the problem remains. I do still have 26 Office Updates that were applied on 8/18/14. I sure hope the problem did not start then as I have worked on many files with tables and not knowing how many replacements there would be in a document, I would have had no idea there was an issue.  I only found out today because I was working on a small document and knew there should be exactly 150 replacements, however, Word indicated 320 which included the text found in the NON-selected columns.

Anyone know what is happening here?

Thanks.

What happens when you try replacing for the selection only? Do you not see the message asking you if you want to continue searching the rest of the document (to which you would then say no)?
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, first of all, I am pretty much an expert user so I know what I should get and what I should answer. I do get the message, the thing is that is has already done so by then so I don't get to say no.  I am going to try removing all the updates and see what happens.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, my installation of Office 2010 is up to date and I don't see the symptoms you describe when doing a Find & Replace on a selected table column. If you start Word in Safe mode, can you still reproduce the problem?
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had similar experience with Word 2010.

The following concerning Word 2000 explains the solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212218

This article was previously published under Q212218

SYMPTOMS

When you perform a find-and-replace operation on a selection of text, Word finds or replaces words outside of the selection beginning with the text following the selection to the end of the document. When Word reaches the end of the document you may see a message similar to the following
Word has reached the end of the document. <n> replacements were made. Do you want to continue searching at the beginning?
where <n> represents the number of replacements Word made.
CAUSE
This behavior occurs if you click Replace or Find Next in the Find and Replace dialog box (on the Edit menu, click Replace) before you click Replace All. When you click Replace or Find Next, Word cancels the selection because it thinks you want to check the entire document. This functionality works correctly if you click Replace All and do not click Find Next or Replace.
WORKAROUND
To replace one or more words in a selection, follow these steps:
  1. Select the text containing the word or phrase.
  2. On the Edit menu, click Replace.
  3. Type the text you want to search for in the Find what box.
  4. Type the text you want to use as the replacement text in the Replace with box.
  5. Click Replace All. Do not click Find Next or Replace.
  6. Click No when Word asks "Do you want to search the remainder of the document?"
Properties
Article ID: 212218 - Last Review: January 12, 2015 - Revision: 1.0
  • Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
kbnosurvey kbarchive kbprb kbpending KB212218

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It does sound like a possible explanation. I assumed that the original poster clicked Replace All, because if you don't, you lose the original selection (and Word continues the search for the remainder of the document). Thanks for the suggestion.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 704 Applies to: