Word 2010 custom document properties - how can I see them outside Word and do they copy across when saved as PDF and ultimately uploaded to SharePoint?

I want to add some custom metadata to Word documents which will go on to be saved as PDFs and ultimately uploaded to a SharePoint 365 / Online library (where I want to be able to read the custom metadata fields and display them).

I've worked out that I can add custom document properties to a document when it's open in Word 2010 by doing Developer > Document Panel, then choosing Advanced Properties from the Document Properties drop-down control to open the Properties dialog, then choosing the Custom tab and adding custom properties. Alternatively I can do File > Info, then use the Properties drop-down control just below the file preview image in the right-hand panel to get to the same dialog box and do the same thing.

I've added properties such as

Doc. No.

Doc. No. Prefix

Tech. Authority

Rev. No.

etc

So far, so good.

However will these custom properties be retained when I save the document as a PDF using the File > Save As command? I can't easily tell because Windows 7 File Explorer doesn't seem to show custom file properties in the panel along the bottom when I click on a the resulting PDF file. In fact Windows 7 File Explorer doesn't seem to show the custom file properties of the original Word 2010 file either.

I know it's entering into Windows 7 territory rather than just Word 2010 territory, but is there a way to view the custom properties I assigned to Word 2010 docx file when I've not got the file open i.e. either by some extension to Windows 7 File Explorer or some other simple to use utility? Ideally I'd want to be able to check the custom properties also stayed with the PDF version of the file too.

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Community.

Custom properties cannot be viewed from Windows Explorer.

When a Word document is saved as PDF, the PDF file will not take over the properties from the Word document. Only few properties like Tags, Subject, Title will be carried over.

For more information regarding custom properties or saving the file on Sharepoint, you may post your query in the forum below for assistance:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=word

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 27, 2022 Views 1,562 Applies to: