big idea#7.
{ IF { Page }  <  { NumPages }  "Page { Page } of { NumPages }" "" }
simply shows in Word as
Page
no matter what page number it is.
I have 2 pages in this document.
it is SUPPOSED to show as
Page 1 of 2
on the first page and be blank for the 2nd (last) page. but this does not work properly in Word. Word is broken. My understanding is that I have applied all the service packs and I am using auto-updates for this, however, I have no way to be sure about this. windows update doesn't seem to have a checkbox for this.

bug #2:
when you right click on an existing IF field and pick Edit field, and turn on preserve formatting during updates, it blindly appends
 \* MERGEFORMAT
without checking to see if that is already in the field. this is wrong. and since once this is in, the checkbox staus checked, every time you edit, it will continue to append this to your field over and over, probably breaking the format.

Answer
Answer

I am using Office 2010, and have done so for a few years. I have never experienced the behaviour you describe in any version of Office - going all the way back to Office 4 (1993) and various Word versions before even then. I use field coding extensively and have written a number of tutorials on their use. Do you really suppose that, given the length of time Office 2010 has been available and the number of uses to which fields are put, that you'd be the first to encounter such a bug - if there was one?

Have you tried repairing your Office installation? Do you have any 3rd-party addins installed? Various poorly-written Blutetooth addins, for example, are notorious for messing around with Word.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,301 Applies to: