Word 2010 64 bit File Open Error

Running Word 2010 in 64 bit on 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate and starting Word and then clicking Open causes an error in a VBA window regarding Ptr Safe Attribute:  "The code in this project must be updated for use on 64-bit systems.  Please review and update Declare statements and then mark them with the PtrSafe attribute."

All I want to do is open a Word document that is not in the "recent" file, because all docs in the "recent" file open just fine when clicking on them in Word.  If I go to My Documents and click on a "non-recent" Word document, it opens just fine with no error message.

How do I update the Declare statements, which ones do I update and how, and how to mark them with this attribute.  When VBA first came out, I was darn good at it in Access, but I don't do VBA very well since the first update of VBA became almost as complicated as C++, and how did I get this error? 

Answer
Answer

If the File>Open command in Word is causing a problem, it is likely that you have a macro of that name in the Normal.dotm template.  Try renaming that template to OldNormal.dotm and then restart Word and see if the problem has gone away.

If you start Word in safe mode, by holding down the CTRL key while starting it until asked if you want to start in Safe Mode, can you then use the File>Open command.

Another thing to try is to repair the Office installation via the Control Panel.

Note, Microsoft do not recommend the use of the 64-bit version of Office unless you require it to run very large and very complex Excel workbooks.  Unless you do need to run such workbooks, I would suggest that you uninstall the 64-bit version of Office and install the 32-bit version.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 290 Applies to: