Windows cannot find

I have a Vista desktop using Word 2010, I am sent templates to work on and when I open the templates to do my work I get a message "Windows cannot find.........docx'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." But the document is open and I can do my work. How do I make the message quit popping up.

I have tried the same with my laptop that is windows 7 and have no problem. I can even transfer the files from Vista to the wdw 7 and have no problems.
Answer
Answer
These are work templates that I download from a company server into a folder on my desktop. I can open the template without problems, but the dialog box pops up "Windows cannot find........" This only happens on my Vista but does not happen on my Wdw 7 laptop.

I perform all the same steps on the laptop as I do on the desktop.

I am wondering if there is a setting to shut down that dialog box, because I can open the template and do the work just fine, I just have to close the dialog box with each and every template.

Thanks, Cheryal

Do you see the error message when you double-click the template icon (for example on the desktop)? In that case, it might be a file association error. Try the following: Exit Word if it is running. Hold the Windows logo key as you press R; in the Run dialog box, type winword /r and press Enter. After the configuration has completed, see if you can double-click template icons without problems.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 119 Applies to: