Why doesn't Microsoft Word allow me to change the background color?

I am trying to change the background color while typing, however, just cannot find the suitable option.  I tried using the highlight tool and other tools within the toolbar, but Word just won't change the background color from gray, which it inherited from the previous paragraph.

Answer
Answer
The gray color in the first paragraph probably indicates that the shaded text is a field. It's likely that you positioned the cursor at the end of that paragraph (still inside the field) and pressed Enter, so the second paragraph is also inside the field. I can't guess what kind of field it is just from the screenshot.

If the bottom of the first paragraph is supposed to be a field, then your best approach is to (1) cut the text of the second paragraph to the clipboard; (2) move the cursor to the start of the first paragraph and press Enter; (3) paste from the clipboard into the empty paragraph; and (4) apply bullet-list style to it.

If none of it is supposed to be a field, click inside the field (anywhere in the shading) and press Ctrl+Shift+F9. That converts the field to plain text. You might have to reapply the bullet formatting and/or the hyperlink.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2024 Views 3,806 Applies to: