Why do I have condensed fonts in some of my WORD 2010 document?

I am having a problem getting a document formatted into a single style. Every 10 pages or so I will have a paragraph or whole page that looks condensed, and I cannot figure out how to change it to the regular font size and spacing. here is an example of what I am seeing in the document: 1)the top paragraphs are condensed, 2) the bottom paragraph is normal. 1)- A double operation to be completed in thirty minutes; thirty minutes needed to bring the reinforcements from the German military base seventeen miles beyond the southern ridge; reinforcements the plan allowed to arrive too late but to bury their dead in a deserted ravine, guerillas already withdrawn to the hills. And the audacious plan had worked. The German guard patrol had been pushed back inside the airfield area and here they were joined by full battalion strength, men quickly roused from sleep, blood racing through bodies restless with long and boring camp fatigues, men anxious to press on, to follow up the retreating shadows in the night. 2) Three hundred yards, four, five; the guerilla retreat now lighted bright as day, sheet flame preceding crunching explosions throwing burning gasoline high above the plateau; a frightening wild tower of leaping red and white; harsh bright light reflected back below again by bulging black clouds of smoke hurrying high above the blazing **** unleashed below. A thrusting roar of fire now punctuated by short round and irregular bursts of grenades lobbed into leather cockpits of planes splintered and wrenched apart; mute metal tilted, now overturned, wheels alive spinning madly unable to escape the hungry fire rendering all to useless scrap. Both condensed and normal paragraphs are Palatino 11pt and I am using WORD 2010, Windows 7 64 bit. Can anyone explain why this is happening or perhaps explain how I can format the entire 120 page document the same way and resolve the condensed bits? I have tried select all, but that doesn't change things. Thanks very much for any help! Ps. Are there any web based businesses where I can send the document to have it fixed, so the font size, etc will be the same through-out the entire document?
Answer
Answer
PS: your description came out all in one long paragraph.  Could you break it up with some spaces and paragraph breaks.

Could you post a sample of the affected text. Cut some text before and after the problem para and paste into a new document that you post in sharepoint for us to look at?

OK, we need to figure out if the problem is with styles or manually applied formatting, or something else ...

Switch into Draft or Outline view and go into File menu > Options command > Advanced option > Display Section. Set a value greater than zero for "Style Area pane width in Draft and Outline views".  This way you can see the Style assigned to each paragraph. This is easier than selecting each para to see what style is assigned.

If it is not a style problem, maybe it is manual formatting overriding the styles. Simplest thing to do is select the whole paragraph and use <CTL>+<Spacebar> to clear formatting.

Here are some links about techniques to see formatting applied to text, "reveal codes"
Reveal Codes in Word - Is there life after “Reveal Codes”?

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RevealCodes.htm .  This is an excellent article describing all of the native Word tools for discovering formatting.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271478/en-us  WD2000: "Microsoft Word 2000 Equivalents to WordPerfect Reveal Codes" White Paper Is Available as download “Reveal00.exe”

Formatting Problems? Install CrossEyes -

http://www.levitjames.com/Products/CrossEyes.aspx
http://www.howtogeek.com/164343/easily-view-formatting-codes-in-word-2010-using-crosseyes/ - a product review of the tool

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2023 Views 3,551 Applies to: