Why can't we save and close a doc, and minimize Word, all in one click?

Word always hangs around whenever I close a .doc.....it sits there in the middle of my screen, like a big grey elephant, blotting out everything else, including whatever folder I had open, with the list of files I was trying to consecutively edit.  So, I've fallen into the habit of using the X box to shut off Word when I really just want to save and close the current .doc.   I do this because it's the fastest way to get the heck out of the .doc and see the list of files I need to edit next.

But this means when I double click each subsequent file to edit it, Word has to entirely re-load before showing me the document...that takes time, too.

I would prefer to do a File Close when I'm finished editing a doc, but that approach causes a bunch of mouse movements and clicks just to make that happen, and does NOT get rid of the unwanted grey elephantine empty Word app, blotting out everything.

So the question becomes, is there a way to save and close a .doc, and make Word minimize automatically, with ONE mouse click?

Over years of working with Word, this one capability would probably save a typical user many hours of totally unnecessary mousety-clicking.

Answer
Answer

It doesn't do that because it would be exceptionally annoying to most users.

How should Windows/Word know that you wanted to also minimise the window? What about if two documents are open and you only closed one of them? What if the user then wants to use the File>Open or File>Recent to open the next document but has to maximise Word again to see these commands?

If I had the same workflow as you, I would either make use of my second screen for 'the other application' or almost maximise Word so I can click once on the other app to bring it to the front. You could also create a AutoClose macro that minimises Word as you close a document but I think that would grow old very fast.

Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2021 Views 527 Applies to: