What is the depth of header/footer in Word 2010?

I am trying to determine the maximum dimensions that an image can be when it is inserted image file in my Word document. My Word document has 1/2" margins on all sides, plus a header and a footer. How can I tell how much space I have remaining for my image file? I cannot figure out a way to determine how much space the header and footer uses.

Answer
Answer

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I found a solution on my own that required a little bit of trial and error. 

After clicking on View -> Ruler, I saw that the height from the bottom of the header to the top of the footer was approximately 9.6". So I made an image that was sized 7.5" x 9.6." But Word automatically puts a margin around the footer, so this image was actually too large. I made an image that was 7.5" x 9.5" and it worked perfectly. 

Some readers might be interested in knowing that I am working on a "continuation page" for a PHS 398 form produced by the National Institutes of Health. If you are working with this template, the maximum image size that can fit is 7.5" x 9.5."

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,118 Applies to: