Watermark causing some headers to disappear

I am using Word 2010 on Windows 7.  I have a 229 page document with 39 section breaks.  I include chapter numbers in my page numbering.  All of this works just fine until I add a watermark in the body of the document.  I want Draft 4/8/14 added.  The watermark shows up exactly as it is supposed to.  However, some of my headers and footers have disappeared.  No headers on pages in the preface or chapter 1.  Everything is fine in chapter 2.  For chapter 3 and 4 the headers and footers appear on the first page, but none of the pages following.  Chapters 5 - 9 seem to be ok.

Any ideas?  I don't want to have to make a label or hand-write on every page because we do need to know which version we are looking at when we review and edit.

If you send me a copy of the document, I will investigate the issue.  Mention the problem in the e-mail message so that I will know what to look for.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Word's watermark tool has a nasty habit of deleting other header/footer content, even across unlinked header/footer Section breaks. A workaround is to create your watermark in another document, then copy & paste the watermark thus created into the header you want to attach it to.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately, the document is highly confidential so I can't send it.  However, I will try to create a similar document and send that to you.

I've been told by a few people that this has happened to them and could never find any consistency in page breaks, images, or anything else.  But give me a few days, and I'll send you a copy of something that shows my issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 28, 2023 Views 3,933 Applies to: