Using Word 2010 when scrolling takes over and adds blank pages

That title pretty much says it all. I've been working on a document which is five or six pages long. It is in list format, but the list is not numbered or bulleted - just hand input.

But what is happening, repeatedly, it that I will be scrolling down or just hitting enter and suddenly the document starts scrolling down very fast and adding blank pages. Sometimes this is in the middle of the document and sometimes at the end.

A couple of times I was able to stop it and delete the unnecessary pages. However, at the moment my six page long document is 21 pages long.

I've tried closing the program and reopening it and I have even shut off the PC and restarted it, but it keeps happening. I've used Word for years and never seen anything like this.

Using Word from Office 2010  on a Windows 8 machine.

Ideas???
Answer
Answer
I had this same problem with two separate but very similar files. Both were originally created with the same version of Word but on Windows 7. I'm now using a new desktop with Windows 8, but I have been using Word without any problem on this system for several months.

I posted this problem here to see if this was a known issue and it doesn't seem to be.

I have done two things and might have fixed the problem. At least I have not been able to duplicate it this morning. First I ran the "Fix-it" utility from the link above.

Second, I have one other suspected cause of this problem which is my Logitech wireless mouse (M705), so I have updated the drivers for the mouse and keyboard.

Is it possible that somehow the mouse was giving "Enter" (or "Scroll") signals repeatedly and thus causing this to occur? Just in case, I also updated my drivers for the mouse and keyboard.

As I said, I haven't had any problem with my system or with Word previously and I'm a fairly heavy user. I will continue to test and hope that I don't see this annoying situation happen again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 9, 2024 Views 405 Applies to: