Using Legacy Tools and Text Boxes in Word 2010

I am creating a number of forms that i want to be filled out electronically.  I know the basics of using the legacy tool to create a Text Form Field, and know how to limit the number of characters in the field.  The problem is, when i fill in the form, it pushes all the other text out of position, ruining the rest of the form.  A couple years ago, when i worked at another department, i created similar forms, and I am sure i created text boxes and put a legacy tool text form field inside it in order to avoid the movement of text on the form, but i can't seem to do it now.  Whenever i try to put a text form field in a text box, the legacy tool is greyed out and unaccessible.  I've tried inserting tables, but they are hard to move around and place correctly (especially when i have to place two separate tables on the same line) and it also moves text around.  How do i solve this problem.  I want to create text fields that won't move other text around when typing, but that i can restrict the number of characters entered into the field.  And I want to be able to restrict it so that only the appropriate fields can be accessed by the one filling out the form.

Text boxes or Frames?

Frames and Textboxes in Microsoft Word

I've never known of an ability to put formfields in text boxes. Word 2003 will not allow them there.

You may want to download Greg Maxey's add-in to give better access to the controls from the old Forms Toolbar on the Ribbon. This includes the button to insert a Frame.

Add Classic FormField Controls to Ribbon

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2024 Views 3,187 Applies to: