Undesirable squiggly lines underneath words in Word 2010 documents

Why do certain words in my Word 2010 documents have squiggly lines underneath them when I type them, and how can I get rid of them? They're not misspelled or anything.  Also: Will the squiggly lines appear in a document that I send by email in an attachment? I don't want that.
Answer
Answer
Word uses red squigglies for words that are not recognized by the dictionary (which may or may not mean that they're misspelled). It uses blue squigglies for "contextual" errors, words that are spelled correctly but not the right word in context (for example, using "their" where the correct word is "there"). It uses green squigglies for what it supposes are grammar errors, although it's often mistaken because natural languages are so illogical.

Under the usual circumstances, the squigglies could appear on someone else's computer, because their spelling/grammar checker will find the same errors as yours does. To prevent that, select the whole document, click Review > Language > Set Proofing Language, and check the box for "Do not check spelling or grammar". That setting will be applied to the selected text as a property (like italic or bold) and saved in the document file. That will prevent the recipient's spelling checker from finding any errors in that document.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2023 Views 191 Applies to: