Underline the caption label

Hi, 

I want to know if it possible to underline the label of image caption in Word 2010. It should look like this:

I could only manage to get this manually, would like to have it be that way as default when I insert a caption since I have quite a few images.

Thanks

Is "Bild" a common text prefix on all numbers?

You can try modifying the "Caption" style. Add numbering to it and add the prefix text.  Also apply font underline option to the numbering format.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, the paper is in German and "Bild" is comparable to the english word "figure". Your approach is good, but I am not sure if I can still  format the numbering as "Figure 1-1:" where the first number is the chapter number. Any suggestions how I can do this?  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Including chapter numbers in figures is trickier. I don't know that it can be done

This tip shows how to add chapters to page numbers, I was hoping to see something like this in bullets and numbering but did not. Maybe I missed it:

Chapter Numbers in Indexes and TOAs

http://wordribbon.tips.net/T010622_Chapter_Numbers_in_Indexes_and_TOAs.html

This tip implies that you have to do it manually.  Create the chapter number as static text, changing it for each chapter ...

How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Word 2007 and Word 2010

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Including Chapter Numbers in Captions is dead simple.   In the Caption dialog, click on the Numbering button and then check the box for "Include chapter number" in the Caption Numbering dialog that appears.

and this will be the result:

You can also select the text in the Caption control and use Ctrl+u to have it underlined, thought it would perhaps be better to define the font in the Caption style so that it is underline.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Doug,

I was trying to do it the "simple" way, using the style. 

Mi Ro, FYI you can find the caption dialog by clicking on the picture, then in click on the Picture Tools Format contextual tab > Captions group > Insert Caption button.

Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your "simple" way is not the right way.
Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Including Chapter Numbers in Captions is dead simple.   In the Caption dialog, click on the Numbering button and then check the box for "Include chapter number" in the Caption Numbering dialog that appears.

and this will be the result:

You can also select the text in the Caption control and use Ctrl+u to have it underlined, thought it would perhaps be better to define the font in the Caption style so that it is underline.

Thanks Doug,

I am very familiar with this function of Microsoft Word. The challenge was to underline the prefix of the caption only. Rohn007 first approach doesn't allow using this function for adding the chapter number. 

How would you suggest I can define the font in the Caption style so only the prefix gets underlined, for example "Figure 1-1: This is some random caption text". I ended up underlining it manually, which is alright, but when I use the cross reference function to refer to a figure the text is being underlined as well.

Greetings 

Mi_ro

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You may be able to prevent the cross reference to a caption being underlined by adding a \* charformat switch to the cross reference field and specifically formatting the R of Ref so that it is not underlined.
Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"and specifically formatting the R of Ref"

Hello Doug,

thank you for your answer. I am not quite sure what this means - I would say I am an intermediate user but not really an advanced one... could you provide an example?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My suggestion does not work as it turns out that the \* charformat switch is not valid in a Ref field.

While you can manually remove the underline from the cross reference, when the fields in the document are updated, the underline will be reinstated.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,343 Applies to: