Unable to open Doc and docx file

Hi 

I am using Word 2011 on my Mac, I received 2 word files xxx.doc and yyy.docx via email which I believed from an older than 2011 word.

When I tried to open, I am prompted to select the encoding, however, none of the selected encoding able to open the file correctly to be readable as shown below.

Answer
Answer

I think you are looking at "base64-encoded" files, which is what email programs receive via the Internet when a file is attached to an email message. If that's so, your email program is failing to decode them properly. Some reasons for this:

• Your email program is malfunctioning
  • The file has been badly encoded by the sender's email program
  • The email message somehow was corrupted along the way

Those types of files start with a heading, similar to this one:

--36908767-896244226-1393621369=:34804--

--36908767-1059637450-1393621369=:34804

Content-Type: application/msword; name="Cls Letter.doc"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Cls Letter.doc"

... followed by the main body (similar to your screenshots), followed by a closing sequence that matches the heading:

--36908767-1059637450-1393621369=:34804--

As you see, this data includes the file name, so the fact that you do have a file name indicates that your email program is interpreting that information, albeit partially, which is why Word is asking you to confirm the file's format. Of course, none of those options will work. The content remains in the original form—text only—in spite of the file's name ending in .doc.

Try using another email service (like a free Hotmail account) or perhaps zipping the files will shield them against corruption. If that fails, post back and I'll tell you how to manually decode that information.

Si mi respuesta te ha servido, márcala como solución o como útil.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 1,113 Applies to: