Trouble with list of figure in Word 2010

In an existing word document, I have a list of figures that is hyperlinked to numbered figures throughout the document. I had to had a new figure in the middle of the document (ex: Figure 10) and now I have two "Figure 10"s and the numbers for the figure beyond 10 are now one off. The hyperlinks are all still working, but is there a way for Word to easily fix the numbering issues in the list of figures as well as throughout the document?

I have tried clicking on "update table" under the references tab, but that just completely deletes my new "Figure 10" from the list of figures.

How did you create the captions? Via References tab | Insert Caption? In that case, you can update the numbering by switching to Print Preview and then return to your previous view (you can use Ctrl+F2 followed by ESC).

If the list of figures is based on caption labels, clicking inside it and pressing F9 should update it. On the other hand, if the list of figures is built on styles, make sure the correct style has been applied to the caption.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If this is an autogenerated figure TOC, you should not manually edit it for this purpose.  Instead select the entire figure TOC, right click it, then left click update field and  update entire table.  If you have already inserted the new figure caption in the text and if the caption autonumbers have updated, the numbering in the figure TOC will be in sequence and match the numbers in the text.
Pamelia Caswell

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2023 Views 529 Applies to: