Trouble with bookmarks and formulas in MS Word 2010

I work for a research institution in the finance department, specifically in the  3rd party funding department.  I am responsible for a very large project

which has 16 external partners.  Each partner must prepare a proof for our financial backer showing how the funds were spent.  The form must be sent to all of our partners.  The problem is neither Excel nor Word are exactly suited to our needs.  The form has a lot of text (think a tax form).  The form must fit on standard sized paper and have different sized tables on one sheet (which is why I can't use excel, no merging cells won't work as it won't make standard sized tables).  So when I try to set up a table in Word I keep having the following problems:
1) The table won't calculate correctly.  I get a "syntax error".  What's extra frustrating is sometimes it works, some times I get the error.  It's really irritating. 

2).  When I try to transfer data from one table to another, I set up a formula and reference a bookmark.  Then randomly Word deletes the bookmarks?  That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I am seriously at my rope's end.  I need to know how to set up a document in excel on a standard size piece of paper that would look something like this:

Table 1: 3x4

Table 2: 5x4

Table 3 4x4

Table4 8x18

Table 5 8x18

Or tell me how to set it up in word so that the formulas don't screw up at random, the table auto calculates (a macro would be super), and for Christ's sake the bookmarks don't disappear on me.  Seriously microsoft you find ways to make my blood pressure rise every day.

Thank you for the tip.  Unfortunately, I am still no closer to solving my problem.  I check the Maths file.  First of all some things like the union opeator don't work at all, I get a syntax error.  Ridiculous!  I had my document open and the command fields open at the same time.  There is no way I entered it wrong.   I then redid all the formulas and it calculates with an error message.  Ridiculous!!  I have sanitized a copy of the document so that I can keep it confidential.  I had to translate it into English as the original was in German, which is fine as I have English partners as well.  Can you or someone have a look at this?  Essentially what is the Personnel Costs to be added up and entered into table 1 from the two Personnel tables on page two and I want the FTE values to be added up and entered from the two tables into table 2.  Finally I need the value from column 2 table 1 to be forwarded to table 3.  Then I need it to be subtracted from the sum of the next two boxes.  I have entered the formulas and nonetheless it screws up in typical microsoft fashion. 

Regards,

Ken

Now how in the world do I upload a document?  Is microsoft really so stupid as to not provide this opportunity so I can show exactly what I am doing?

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Without knowing what formulae you're trying to use or under what circumstances they mis-behave, it's hard to give specific advice. That said, if bookmarks are being deleted, that suggests something is being done to cause it (they are easily deleted by accident) - Word doesn't just delete them of its own accord.

Also, to see how to do a wide range of calculations in Word, check out my Microsoft Word Field Maths Tutorial, at:
http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/154369-Microsoft-Word-Field-Maths-Tutorial
or:
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party

Amongst other things, the tutorial shows how to reference values in a given table from anywhere else in the document, using table-level bookmarks (which are comparatively robust).

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I know it's been some time but I recently had the same problem in word 2016.

I have several tables in word document in which I calculate some values, next one

depending on one or more previous values in different tables, i.e. averages, sums,

multiplications, percentage and so on and so forth.

I discovered my mistake - I tried to add bookmarks to specific fields of a table (like 'measurment1'

and 'measurment2') instead of adding bookmark to whole table (like 'measurements') and then use

reference to a cell like 'measurements b2' (I simply misunderstood online tutorial).

Seems like I was overriding my own bookmarks and breaking formulas by this.

Another thing is that word keeps deleting space characters between "measurements" and "b2"

and that also breaks formula. Reopening it and adding spaces fixes this.

After 6 hours my document works for 20 minutes;)

Oh well, better late then never, hope this helps anyone else but me.

D.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 10, 2023 Views 1,364 Applies to: