Tracked changes nightmare - everything gone!

I've trawled the web for an answer, but I'm coming up short...

I've been working on editing a long document (100k words) over the last couple of weeks. I've been using 2 different computers, and the tracked changes have been showing up in two colours - for "Username1" and "Username2" depending on which device I'm using.

On the computer corresponding to "Username1" I've just upgraded from Word 2003 to Word 2010. I opened up the file today, only to find all the changes I'd made to the document in the previous week have vanished - right from the point where "Username2" edits ended. 

It should have looked like this when I opened the file:

- Username 1 edits (10k words)

- Username 2 edits (12k words)

- Username 1 edits (12k words)

- Rest of unedited document (66k words)

But it looks like this:

- Username 1 edits (10k words)

- Username 2 edits (12k words)

- Rest of unedited document (78k words)

It looks like the upgrade to Word 2010 has stripped out all the changes made since I started the last session. Or perhaps they're hiding in there somewhere and I can't access them. Privacy settings maybe? I can't figure it out, why it would remove only the last round of editing and not the previous ones. 

Anyway, I didn't have a chance to send the non-stripped-out version to my cloud account before this happened - and it looks like the removal of the changes is permanent as the missing edits don't show up in other programs I've tried to use to get them back, including plain text. I was wondering if anyone knows what might have happened, and whether I can get these changes back?? They amount to about a third of the work I've done on this document, and will take me a week to go through them all again. 

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!!!

Hello Nick,

Does the username1 edits are not showing in second PC as well?

Where is the document saved as you are accessing it from multiple locations?

Check if the last changes you did is showing up as rest of unedited document (78k words)

You may do the changes now and check if track changes remember the changes.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 86 Applies to: