The macro cannot be found

I've been receiving the following message for some time.  I've searched various forums, help files, tried all kinds of things (including reducing security levels) with no luck.  Does anyone know how to determine WHICH macro it's complaining about?  That might help me recover/replace it.  Here's the message:

The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your Macro security settings.

This message can appear if:

If the macro security settings are not allowing the macro to run, you should confirm the origin of the macro to be sure that it can be trusted (contact the developer or the source for the macro). You can then temporarily enable all macros by using the following procedure.

NOTE: Be sure to change this option back to its original setting after you have run the macro.

If the macro is not accessible because the template is not loaded, click the File tab, click Options, and then click Add-Ins. At the bottom of the Add-Ins pane, select Templates from the Manage drop down list, and then click Go. In the Templates and Add-ins dialog box, click either Attach or Add. If the macro is not in the template, you may need to copy the macro from one template to another. Click the Organizer button at the bottom of the Templates and Add-ins dialog box to start the Organizer utility.

What are you doing or trying to do at the time when the message appears?
Greg Maxey
Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.

For more help with Word visit:
http://gregmaxey.com/word_tips.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm simply opening a document.  Basically, anything I've tried to open gets this unless I open Word without specifying a document (ie a new doc).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Greg Maxey
Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.

For more help with Word visit:
http://gregmaxey.com/word_tips.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It sounds like you may have an add-in that is causing the trouble.  See:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/ryan_christiansen/archive/2008/04/25/how-to-know-when-an-add-in-might-be-causing-word-to-behave-unexpectedly.aspx

I'll give this a try and follow up!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 42 Applies to: