Templates and Add-Ins Dialog Box Won't Open

I got a new Win7 PC with Office Pro 2010. I have a document made with Word 2003 that uses a custom Template. I developed a new Word 2010 template and I'm trying to apply it to my Word 2003 (.doc) document.

I clicked on Options -> Add-Ins -> Selected Templates in drop-down -> Clicked the Go button; but the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box won't open. So, can't select the template.

I tried this with other Word 2003 (.doc) files, and I can attach the 2010 template, and everything works fine.

I don't understand what's going on. Is the original file corrupted?

Thank you.

To attach a template to a document, with the document as the active document,  go to the Developer tab and click on Document Template in the Templates section of the ribbon and then in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box, click on the Attach... button and navigate to\select the template that you want to attach to the document.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply Doug. I tried that and the Document Template icon is grayed-out. So basically, Word is not allowing me to do anything with templates on this file, even though the styles used on the template are there. I think this file is corrupt.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is your document protected for filling in forms?

What is it that you are trying to accomplish by attaching the new template? There may be another way to accomplish your goal.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a template I updated for Word 2010. The original template was designed for Word 2003, I just designed a new one to use the Word 2010 ribbon. It uses custom styles to change text (normal, bold, italic, bullets, paragraph spacing, etc.), and inserts custom graphics and other objects. 

Attaching the new template works fine for other Word 2003 doc files, but is just not working for this particular one. We are currently using this template in dozens of Word projects.

The template styles are available in the file from the Word 2003 original template, so, we just have to apply the styles manually instead of using the ribbon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Click on the Restrict Editing button in the Protect section of the Developer tab and then click on Stop Protection.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2024 Views 1,311 Applies to: