Table row height "Exactly" resets itself to "At Least" in Word 2010

I have created a nested table where I want the cells to stay an exact width and height. I have set the column width and row height to "Exactly" x pixels. I have also made sure that in Table Properties/Table/Options "Automatically resize to fit contents" is unchecked. However, the "Exactly" row height setting won't stick. If I go into Table Properties again, the row height has reset itself to "At Least" and even if I set it to "Exactly" again, if I type in the table cell, the row height keeps growing with the added text. It does not cut off the text as I want it to do if the text exceeds the desired height of the cell.

I need to constrain the size of the cell to maintain a certain aesthetic appearance and to force users to edit down their text if it's too long for the cell, but the settings are not working.

Is there another factor at play, e.g., because it's a nested table, or some other setting I need to set? 

Hi,

As I understand you want to set fixed height and width to cells in nested table:

Follow the steps mentioned and check:

·         Select the nested table, right click on it and click on Table Properties< under Row tab specify the row height and Row Height is select Exactly.

·         Go to Table tab< Option< under Option group uncheck the option Automatically resize to fit content.

·         Go to Layout tab under Cell size group click on Auto Fit and Fixed Column size and check.

I hope the above suggestions help. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You have to specify the height setting that you want for each row of each table in the document.

Don't forget about the nested tables, whose rows must be dealt with separately.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the tips but none of my settings are "sticking." I had already done everything suggested above but the row height resets itself from Exactly to At Least and the table cells will not stay at the specified height and width. Even the whole table width itself won't stay at the size specified. For example, if I set it to 750 px, I'll go in to the table properties and it will be 817 px.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I suspect document corruption (or table corruption). See if copying document content, minus the final paragraph mark (¶), into a new, blank document, fixes the problem.

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I would need more information on the issue:

Does the issue occur with a particular document or all the Word documents?

Try creating a new Word document with tables and nested tables and check if it works fine in new document.

If the issue persists in new document too then refer the link mentioned follow the troubleshooting steps provided in the article and check:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Note: Ensure to back up the registry before changing any registry keys as mentioned in the article.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I could not figure out how to stop the row height from reverting to "At Least" from "Exactly," even when I made sure the table was not nested. I am not sure if this could have something to do with the fact that my file was saved as "Web Page, Filtered." For me, however, the real issue was that the row height was larger than the size of the text for no apparent reason. I was trying to force the row smaller to get rid of this extra space.

I was able to fix this by looking at the paragraph settings for the text inside the cells. Make sure there is no extra spacing set for "Before" and "After" and that the line spacing is set to "Single." This was what was forcing the extra space for me.

It is also worth checking the "Cell Margins" settings and the default cell margins found under Table Properties -> Table tab -> "Options..." These can also force extra space I think.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I could not figure out how to stop the row height from reverting to "At Least" from "Exactly," even when I made sure the table was not nested. I am not sure if this could have something to do with the fact that my file was saved as "Web Page, Filtered."

The Web page (filtered) format doesn't support all of Word's formatting, so it's a likely cause of trouble.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The above is all correct when it comes to modifying tables...

however I ran into the same above issues... The problem I was having is directly related to the Paragraph settings for the text contained within the table structure. ... Remove all padding space from your text ... and voilà it works... 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Text formatting set in a table style overrides settings in document defaults, so this makes sense.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 20,599 Applies to: