Table pasted from EXCEL spreadsheet into Word won't join table created from in Word.

I have a Word document with a table in it that I created from scratch in Word.  Then I pasted a table from an EXCEL spreadsheet into the Word document below the table created in Word, and I can't get the EXCEL table to join the Word table, even with the two tables' "Text wrapping" set to "None".  When I delete the paragraph mark at the end of the Word table, the first character in the top left cell of the table from EXCEL gets deleted, and the two tables won't join.  But if I delete the table pasted from EXCEL, and create a table from scratch in Word, and delete the spaces between the two tables they do join, so I know how to make two tables join, just not if the bottom one is an EXCEL-created table.  Can someone tell me how to let the EXCEL table join the Word table?  Is it maybe because the EXCEL table might have automatic links, or something else attached to it from EXCEL?  It is a simple table with only text and no formulas.  Thank you.

Unless the tables have exactly the same indents, preferred width settings, overall width & alignment, they are liable to refuse to join. Even though these may sometimes look the same, indent & width units, for example, might not be quite what they appear to be, so you need to change then to something significantly different, then change them back to what they need to be. Perverse little beasties they are, sometimes...
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

When pasting Excel table into Word table try using the “Merge Formatting” option listed in “Paste” drop down arrow.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 26, 2024 Views 1,506 Applies to: