subject - line spacing in Word 2010

I am a traditional touch typist.   I am used to using the Enter key to move down to the next line - the original position for the "return key" on the traditional typewriter.   I have tried to use this to move down one line when entering an incomplete line of text but I find the next line of entry is double space between lines.   The single line entry works fine when entering a full line of text as the system automatically finds its way to the next line but how can I move down only one line space to enter text which does not fill the space - margin to margin.   For instance - entering an address which is obviously not going to spread across from margin to margin.

I cannot change the habit of a lifetime as a traditional typist and need to be in control of line spacing of my own choice - not what the computer and Mircrosoft thinks I need.   Please give me the option of using my keyboard as a traditional typist and leave the gismos to those who are not keyboard savvy.   Is this too much to ask.   Please tell me how to turn off the facility which is turned on to accommodate the new generation and let me decide when I want single line spacing and double ( by the time honoured method of pressing the return key twice.

Answer
Answer

Sinamana, I know how you feel.  I also learned to type on a typewriter and in fact used a typewriter for many years, and when I changed to a computer, it took me a while to remember not to hit Enter at the end of every line.  Now I am comfortable using the computer and in fact I enjoy all the options for controlling line spacing so that the line spacing is exactly the way I want, even to fine increments.  There are several ways to control line spacing.  You have to experiment with them until you get used to them and know which ones you want to use.  They are: 

1)  click on the Line Spacing area in the middle of the Paragraph Group and select a line spacing option (1, 1.5, 2, etc.);

2) click on the lower right-hand corner of the Paragraph Group and work with the options in the Spacing section (you can even set a particular line spacing as a default setting); if you click on Exactly or Multiple, you can even set a custom line spacing; and

3) you can set up different styles in the Styles Group: click on the lower right-hand corner of the Styles Group; you can modify Normal or create new styles that contain different line spacing (with or without changing the font).  Once you have set up a few styles, you can switch back and forth between those styles just by clicking on a square in the Styles Group. (You may have to click on Manage Styles and modify settings so that the different styles change when you want them to.)

I would like to encourage you to try these line spacing methods out.  You will have more control over line spacing than you had with a typewriter, not less.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Use Shift+Enter to produce a line break.  If that is too hard to learn, then change your style (probably the Normal style in your case) set the line spacing to single, space before and after 0.

That is not how Word is designed to be used, but you can use it that way if it suits your needs.

Edited:  "too hard to learn" is not meant to imply a learning disability.  I suppose "If your old habits are too hard to break" may have sounded better.  Sorry.

Greg Maxey
Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.

For more help with Word visit:
http://gregmaxey.com/word_tips.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 755 Applies to: