Some Word Files will not open on Windows Server 2012R2

I have identical versions of Word 2010 on two different computers. One is Windows 7, and one is Windows Server 2012R2. The Win 7 is my primary writing machine but sometimes I  need to open a Word file on the other machine.

Some of the files open fine on Windows2012 machine, but some give me an error:

"Word experienced an error trying to open the file." It then makes some suggestions for things to try, including Repair as I am opening the file, but none of these suggestions work. I keep getting the same error.

I cannot see what is different between the files that open fine and the files that give this error.

They all open fine on the Windows 7 machine.

I have tried do a full Repair on Microsoft Office and then rebooting.

The normal way of sharing the files is to copy from Windows 7 to a cloud location and then downloading on the Windows 2012 machine. But I have also tried emailing the file to myself from Windows 7 and opening the email on Windows 2102. I get the same problem.

What else can I try?

Thanks

Kalen Delaney

Hello Kalen,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

As you are experiencing this issue on a Windows Server 2012 machine, your issue would be best addressed by the Office IT Pro forum. We request you to post your query on the Office IT Pro forum from the following link for assistance on the issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=officeitproprevious&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Let us know if you need any other information.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 448 Applies to: