Slow to save in Microsoft Word 2010

I am running Microsoft Office Professional 2010. OS: Windows XP Service Pack 3.  When I close out of my Word/Excel program on my computer it takes like 30 seconds for the program to disappear from the screen?  This computer is connected to our server and its domain.  I have office 2010 on my other computer which has the same OS and it has no problems.  Can anyone help me??

Hi,

I will assist you with the issue you are facing with Word and Excel 2010.

I need some details to assist you with the issue:

When you state Disappear from the screen, do you mean that the program closes, but the screen does not refresh or does the program takes 30 sec to close and will not respond during this time?

Is the Office programs installed locally or on server?

Check if the issue occurs when you open the application in safe mode:

Try to open Word in safe mode and check if the issue occurs:

· Hold Windows key + R.

· Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter:

WinWord /safe

Note: There is space between WinWord and/

Try logging in as local user, disconnect the PC from domain (if possible) and check the performance of Office applications.

Let us know the result.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

hey Deepa,

The program takes like 15-30 seconds to close and will not respond during this time.  The office program is installed locally on the workstations.  I could not open word in safe mode, i got the following error message:

Microsoft Office cannot verify the license for this application.  A repair attempt failed or was canceled by the user.  The application will now shutdown.

So I got out of safe mode, I disconnected from the domain, and the same problem continued with the program closing slowly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

The possible cause for the error ‘Microsoft Office cannot verify the license for this application’ is when the Office Software Protection Platform Service is not running.

Ensure that the Office Software Protection Platform Service is running.

· Click on Start and type Services.msc in search field and hit on Enter.

· Right click on Office Software Protection Platform Service, properties and then click on Start

Set the Startup type to Automatic

Try repairing the Office suite from the control panel programs and features list.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/project-help/repair-office-programs-HA010357402.aspx

If the above steps does not help, start the computer in clean boot mode and verify if the issue persists.

Refer to the link below to know how to start the computer in clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

Note: Ensure to restart the computer in normal mode once troubleshooting is completed.

Clean boot is performed to disable all startup programs and 3rd party services on the machine and check they are conflicting with the Office program.

If so, you may disable the unwanted software those conflict with the suite or get them updated.

Let us know the result.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Deepa,

I checked the box the for the protection platform and set it to Automatic.  I repaired the Office Suite and that didn't fix it.  I went into clean boot mode and tried to open word and it still took forever to close out.  This computer is not connected to the internet, would that be a problem?  That it needs an update?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there anything else I could try??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 263 Applies to: