Skip Record If... Not Working linked to Access database

Hey all,

I'm trying to use the Mail Merge in Word to turn out a group of memos that call for work to be done on a group of parts (one memo per part number).  I have the parts organized in an Access database, which contains about a dozen fields or so about each part - one of which is a checkbox "Yes/No" field designating if the part has been "Found" in the warehouse or not.  Checking the box in the part's record designates it has been found.

Over in Word, I've set up the Mail Merge fields as follows:

<<Skip Record If...>><<Found>><<Part_Number>>

With the conditions of the "Skip Record If" rule set as: 

Field Name: Found;

Comparison: Equal to;

Compare to: False

This results in the following field code being generated:

{ SKIPIFTrue<>"False" }

But of course, when I go to preview the merge, Word doesn't skip any of the records.  It just includes all of them.  Other things I have tried are using the "Next Record If..." rule (in which case Word skips SOME of the records, but not all of them?), and removing the quotes from around "False" in the field code (wondering if Word was looking for the Text String "False" as opposed to the value of False).  Neither of which gave me the results I was looking for.  My last thought was to change the Found field in the Access database from a checkbox field to a text or dropdown field with "Yes" or "No" explicitly in it, thinking this may give Word something easier to compare to in the Mail Merge, but this would involve changing several things in the database I'd prefer not to do.  What's more curious/frustrating is that if I add the field "Found" to my mail merge, the values output by Word ARE, in fact, "True" and "False" - so I know this is the proper way to represent the data from Access in Word.

Anyone have any idea why this isn't working as it should?

Much appreciated in advance!

Answer
Answer

Better to do the data manipulation in the Data Source by using a Select Query in Access that only returns the required records.

In Access a checkbox returns the value of -1 if it is checked and 0 if it is not checked and if you want to do the filtering in Word, it is with the appropriate one of those values that you would have to be comparing the contents of the field.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2022 Views 663 Applies to: