Show Formatting Mark for Keep with Next

In Word 2010, I generally have all my paragraphs set as "keep lines together", because I don't like paragraphs breaking over pages.

As a result of this when I am displaying formatting marks I have bullets to the left of all my paragraphs.

For certain paragraphs I like to set them to be "keep with next".

However there is no way that I can see (via formatting marks) which ones these are.

Can anyone suggest how I can display (when editing) which paras are "keep with next"?

Many thanks

The marker for the attribute that is applied first takes precedence over the second one to be applied.

An easier way to make the determination than going to the Paragraph dialog would be to assign a macro containing the following code to a button on the QAT and then when you click that button, it will tell you whether the first paragraph that is selected will be kept with next or not

If Selection.Paragraphs(1).KeepWithNext Then
    MsgBox "Paragraph will be kept with next."
Else
    MsgBox "Paragraph will not be kept with next."
End If

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Doug

However I was hoping to "see" formatting etc marks to show this direct on the screen, ie without having to "go into each paragraph" (via macro or other).

Sometimes the "bullet" (ie keep lines together) formatting marks seem to disappear if I click the "set as default" buttom on the paragraph dialog.

However this does not always seem to work.

I wonder if the solution is along the lines of ensuring my style is (by default) set to keep lines together.  I will experiment with this.

(As an aside I find styles far harder to work with / control in Word 2010, than in 2003.)

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 213 Applies to: