Shortcut to Changing Page Layout Paragraph Spacing

Hello:

I am working with a document where I need to frequently change the way that a new paragraph behaves when I press the Enter key.  I use mainly 3 different "settings", and so far, I have to do it manually every time I want to change the setting.  So, in a large document where I have to switch back and forth between the 3 paragraph settings, I manually might have to do it 50 times.

For example, in Word 2010, I select the Page Layout tab, then in the Paragraph Section, I change the following settings:

For Heading 1, I want no indents and 12 point spacing after I press the enter key.

For computer code examples in my word document, I want no indents and no spacing before or after each line of code.

For narrative, I need a 10 point after I press enter, and also need a special first line indent of .5 inches.

Is there a way I can create some standard setting so all I need to do is place my cursor where I want the new setting to take place, and then click some kind of saved setting?  Doing this manually is getting a bit much.

Regards,

Rich Locus

Answer
Answer

Create Styles for each of the types of paragraphs that you want to use.

You can add the Styles to the Quick Styles gallery on the Home tab of the ribbon or activate the Apply Styles dialog by pressing Ctrl+Shift+s.

The style name control in the Apply Styles dialog autocompletes so if you start to type the name of the style that you want to apply, depending upon how you name it, after a couple of characters, the style of that name will appear in the style name control and all that you have to do then is press the Enter key to invoke that style.

See the following page of the Late Shauna Kelly's website:

http://shaunakelly.com/word/styles/tipsonstyles.html

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 294 Applies to: