Section Headers

I have a Word 2010 document with several sections.  Section breaks are inserted between each section (Using Page Layout -- Breaks).  I'd like to have a different header for each section.  Ideally, I'd like the header to automatically contain the Heading 1 (chapter title) for that section, but I don't know how to do that.  So I tried to enter each section header manually.  I entered the header for the 1st section and it applied to the whole document.  I went to the 2nd section, clicked on the header, clicked "Link to Previous" to turn it off, and entered the heading for the 2nd section.  When I do that for any subsequent section, it always changes the header in the previous sections.  I've done that with and without "Different First Page" checked.  I've tried many times with different variations and in different sections.  Nothing works.  I've looked at posts on this and other sites; it seems a lot of other people have the same problem, but I've yet to see a solution that works.  Any help?  Thanks.

Answer
Answer

You can go either of two ways here.

The better way would be to leave all the section headers linked, and to put a StyleRef field in the header (once they're all linked, they behave like there's only one header for the whole document). Click in the header, click Insert > Quick Parts > Field, select StyleRef in the list of field names, and select Heading 1 in the list of field properties:

Click OK. The field will automatically repeat the text of the Heading 1 paragraph in each section. This has the advantage that if you add a new section, you don't have to think about how to get its heading into the header.

The other way, to continue what you're already doing, is that you must unlink the heading of every section from the one before it -- just unlinking section 2 from section 1 isn't enough.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 236 Applies to: