Savings as Plain Text with Layout ?

Moving from computer with fXP, Word 2000 to Win 7, 64-bit and Word 2010... is there a way to save a document as plain text with layout?  W2000 had the MS-DOS, ASCII  option.  Need to preserve centering as well as line breaks.  Using the plaint text option in 2010 does not preserve layout. Is there a solution?
Answer
Answer
The old converter will still work with Word 2010 (not the 64 bit version) and Windows 7 64 bit and is available to download from my web site, however the registry patch there will not work for Windows 7. For that you need a different patch and the CNV file needs to be stored in the folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Textconv

Copy and paste the following into notepad and save it as Text With Layout.reg then merge the resulting file with your registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Text Converters\Export\MS-DOS Text with Layout]
"Extensions"="asc"
"Name"="MS-DOS Text with Layout"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\Textconv\\TXTLYT32.CNV"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Text Converters\Export\Text with Layout]
"Extensions"="ans"
"Name"="Text with Layout"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\Textconv\\TXTLYT32.CNV"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Text Converters\Import\MS-DOS Text with Layout]
"Name"="MS-DOS Text with Layout"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\TextConv\\Txtlyt32.cnv"
"Extensions"="ASC"

I will add the changes to the file on the web site later today.
Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,092 Applies to: