Save as docm instead of docx as default?

In a previous thread (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/how-do-i-get-macros-to-be-included-in-the/937914d1-8e09-42ea-974e-69b026584841) I received great help to understand about macros and templates and how to distribute them. However, getting this to work was easier said then done and the macro problems persist. People not always remember to install the correct templates on their computers, and even if they do remember, changed template names create problems since old documents based on old templates "look for" templates that are obsolete and have been removed.

If I understand things correctly, a docm file can hold macro code. My assumption is: if documents based on a dotm template are saved as docm, the macros are included in the docm file and the files do not require the templates to be installed in a predetermined location. Is my assumption correct?

If it is correct, is there a way to make Word save all files based on dotm templates as docm, not as docx as default? It would good to have this behaviour as default when a user selects "Save" after having double-clicked on a template. I could include this step in the Writer's instructions, but not all users care to read instructions.

Regards,
Lars
Answer
Answer
If I understand things correctly, a docm file can hold macro code. My assumption is: if documents based on a dotm template are saved as docm, the macros are included in the docm file and the files do not require the templates to be installed in a predetermined location. Is my assumption correct?
The assumption is not correct. The macros will remain in the template. The template must be visible to the document in order for the macros to be run subsequently from the document.

You can of course copy macros to and run them from a docm macro enabled document, but you would have to put them in that document yourself. Simply saving as docm will not cut it.
Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,275 Applies to: